When I re-watched ‘Sholay’ a few weeks back, little did I know that I already knew the title of Yash Chopra’s next. Hmmm! Originality, I cry for you.
If I sound like a little uptight or like I’m being too quick to judge a book…er film by its cover, it is because they (YRF) took so long to announce the title of the film only to settle for the title of a famous song from the epic film ‘Sholay?’ Those are some big shoes to fill, YRF…even in spite of their track record and box office prowess. Not to mention the lack of originality cries they’ve set themselves up for by choosing that title. Based on the poster (yes, I’m going there) I can name 10 movies right off the bat that have been invoked in my mind:
1. Veer Zaara (poster inspiration)
2. Barsaat (Bipasha/Bobby/Priyanka)
3. DDLJ (*Cough*Cough*)
4. Mohabbatein (SRK has traded his violin for a guitar)
5. From Dhoom to DhoomII to BAB to BBB to Ishaqzaade (YRF sure love their bikes, any patent pending?)
6. Raajneeti (Katrina/Ranbir/Sarah)
7. Sarkar (Tanisha/Abhishek/Katrina)
8. Mujhse Dosti Karoge! (Kareena/Hrithik/Rani)
9. Silsila (thematics…yes, I’m calling it… just watch)
10. Namaste London (thematics)
Disclaimer: Keep in mind that my rant is only based on the poster, the title of the film and apparent love triangle storyline. I still trust that Yash Chopra will not disappoint and I pray that God will crown all YRF’s efforts with success as it seems like they have worked very hard to see this epic production through.