So I just got home a couple of hours ago after dedicating twelves hours of my life to chasing legends, making new friends, re-kindling an old hobby and carousing in the glitz and the glamour that was Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby grand premiere in New York City on Wednesday.
Who was there: Amitabh Bachchan, Jaya Bachchan, Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Isla Fisher, Tobey Maguire, Jake Gyllenhaal, Jennifer Lawrence, Angelica Houston, Anna Wintour, Andre Leon Taley, Tommy Hilfiger, Florence Welch, Jay Z, Nina Dobrev, Joel Edgerton, Jennifer Morrison and lots more…
Where: Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center New York City with an after-party at The Plaza Hotel.
When: May 1st, 2013 6 PM onward (Premiere) and 10 PM onward (After-Party)
1. Amitabh Bachchan arriving on the red-carpet to an insane fan-frenzy that had the paparazzi and the press doing double-takes to ensure who had arrived on the red….er…black carpet. Most people thought it was the film’s leading man Leonardo DiCaprio when indeed it was the Indian superstar and living legend Amitabh Bachchan who had arrived and who was very warm with both the press and his fans.
2. The lovely Nina Dobrev signing autographs for her fans and gracefully waving to the crowd of onlookers.
3. Anna Wintour arriving on the carpet and actually smiling as she strutted her stuff + Carey Mulligan arriving on the black carpet dressed in red.
4. Jay-Z doing a little dance for fans as he entered Avery Fisher Hall for the premiere.
5. Gutsy fans jumping over the barricades to get a closer glimpse of their idols only to be immediately sent back behind said barricades by law enforcement. A hilarious but endearing sight.
6. Leonardo DiCaprio waving to the crowd in spite of being nestled up in a web of bodyguards and PR people ushering him in for his grand premiere.
7. Encountering and meeting Amitabh Bachchan fans who fondly refer to themselves as his “EF” (extended family) in the US, they were the loudest of all the fans present and the most determined and dedicated. Press, paparazzi and tourists alike had a field day with the lot of them. It was quite something.
8. Rubbing shoulders with Tommy Hilfiger, Florence Welch, Jay Z & Jake Gyllenhaal at The Plaza.
9. Viewing the Gatsby Exhibit at The Plaza before the after-party. Exquisite costume designs by the ever so brilliant Catherine Martin.
10. Nina Dobrev, Jay Z, Baz Luhrmann, Carey Mulligan & Adelaide Clemens. All super nice people.
11. Cute encounter with Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence, she was in a hurry but at least spoke to me.
12. And perhaps the cutest moment of the night was when director Luhrmann addressed the crowd of fans waiting, saying that he hopes “you like the film when you see it” and that “Leo (DiCaprio) was happy with the film” and “we’ll see” when someone in the crowd wished him good luck and told him he had done his best work with the film. Awww!
Please go out and support the film on May 10th (in the US) when it debuts. Everybody else, please check your local listings.